Week #1: Sales Training
Understanding your relationship to sales and marketing. Do you love it? Hate it? Somewhere in between? Are you clear on the differences from your opinion?
Goals of The Week
- Identify what your emotional relationship with sales is?
- Do you love sales?
- Do you hate sales?
- Are you neutral about sales?
- Understanding the basic difference between marketing and sales
- At baseline marketing should help to identify potential buyers/consumers of your products/services
- At baseline sales should be the mix of products and services that you offer to a specific type of customer
- Being overly broad hurts sales – you can’t please every person
- Being overly specific hurts sales – has you narrow down there are less buyers
- Try to identify your current sales destination
- Where are you today in sales?
- Where would you like to be a year from now in sales?
- What challenges are you aware of with your current approach to sales?
- Ask any initial questions you have about sales or the sales training
Writing things down is what makes the difference in sales. We need to see things in writing. The irony is many of our sales problems will simply be resolved through journaling.
There is no wrong or right way to journal.
My main suggestion – don’t worry about grammar.
So your assignment is to journal about those questions pertaining to the goals.
What are your answers?
What are your questions?
Suggested Approach to the Assignement
- Find a quiet space away from distractions. This is of course easier said than done.
- Plan on being focused for 15 to 20 minutes to answer the questions
- Don’t overthink the answers – just write them as they flow
- Look at your answers, what makes sense? What confuses you?
- Review the answers and try to get them into one word answers or no more than three sentences as answers to the questions
- Send your answers to email@example.com
- I will respond with potential clarification questions
- Remember there are no right or wrong answers.
- If you need to ask a question prior to doing the assignment, just send me an email.